UCT Innovation Builder Fund
The intention of the UCT Innovation Builder Fund is to develop preliminary research outputs where initial proof of concept has been demonstrated, in order that they may be commercialised or better positioned to receive next-round innovation funding.
The application is a two-stage process involving an Expression of Interest (EoI) followed by a Full Funding Application if the EoI gate is passed. Download the Expression of Interest template.
Funding of up to R500 000 per project will be considered. The funds are provided by UCT and applicants are urged to budget frugally and not to include budget items that are “nice to haves” merely to reach the maximum allowed funding level.
The following activities can be supported:
- Initial proof of concept (note that this assumes some level of proof of concept has been achieved using research funding)
- Product, Process (comprehensive technology package) and Prototype development
- Production of market samples and/or associated testing, analytical data and method development and specification sheet development
- Refining and implementing designs
- Conducting field trials
- Support of certification activities
- Piloting and scale-up and techno-economic evaluation
- Detailed primary market research, or specialist consulting
- Business Plan Development
The following will not be funded:
- No GOB staff salaries or student bursaries may be supported by the fund. A student may, however, be employed to conduct project tasks
- Faculty overheads
- Funding should not replace research funding
- Computer equipment will require specific motivation and it is not the intention of the fund to support the purchase of personal computing equipment
- Conference expenses will generally not be supported and should not be included within a budget, unless special motivation has been provided
For more information, please contact please contact Mr Francois Oosthuizen +27(0)21 650 1867.